Monday, November 28, 2016

There is no joy where there is fear!



I've been thinking a lot about fear lately... and how fears of the unknown can keep me from being joyful on my journey with Christ!

I think that, unfortunately, so much of how we are raised is to prevent anything bad from ever ever happening to us! We are continually checking and rechecking safeguards: insurance, locks, social graces, stock futures, excetera; making absolutely sure that we have protected ourselves from anything uncomfortable or even the slightest bit risky.

I often catch myself raising our own children in this perceived "bubble"; trying to guard them from illness, danger or pain... none of that makes me a bad parent, but am I truly preparing them for what may lie ahead in their lives?

In reality, our adventure following Jesus is marked with joys as well as sorrows, trials and sufferings that are just as bittersweet in meaning as the many victories and triumphs we may experience.

As we step out into the unknown world of international adoption, we can easily get wrapped up in concerns of the political climate, traveling far away from our children whom we love dearly, what bringing another child into our family will look like, and how the transition may affect our own children. There are sometimes even fears of what others may think of us as our faith walk may look different than theirs.

But if we allow the fears of the unknown to prevent us from going on this adventure, I am confident we will miss out on one of the most wonderful blessings God has for our family!

This talk by Gary Haugen was given at a church in Washington DC and he really speaks to my timid heart about fears of following Jesus wholeheartedly. I long to be a sold-out Christian who charges the darkness with a heart that is fearless, courageous, and settled firmly in God's love for me! I know my Savior lives and He lives in me! He is for us! We have nothing to fear. (Romans 8:31)


(Another excellent talk by Gary on "getting into trouble" following Jesus is linked here. We are always inspired and encouraged by this brother in Christ and his ministry!)

I was just speaking with a dear friend who lives a life of magnificent adventure following Christ in every area of her life! To the world looking in, her passion & ministry may seem like a crazy unsafe way to live; definately NOT the "normal" American life! (I do so love and admire my friends who live "abnormal"!)

We agreed that anything good that comes out of our lives is because Christ lives in US! We live and breathe and have our being for an Audience of One. We place our trust in Him alone and it is because of Him and who He is, that we can rid ourselves of our own weak timidity and truly live fearless!

1 Peter 3:13-22New International Version (NIV)

 "Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. “Do not fear their threats; do not be frightened.” But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. For it is better, if it is God’s will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil."


I love the line in "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe" by C.S.Lewis where Susan asks about the lion Aslan (who depicts God in the story) ...
"Is He quite safe?" and the other character swiftly replies,
"Safe? Who said anything about safe? Of course He's not safe... but He's good... He's the King, I tell you!"

I hope you will be encouraged in the journey God has you on... and that you will strive to live fearless; knowing that, if you've trusted Jesus Christ as your Saviour, the same power that raised Him from the dead lives in you! (Love that Jeremy Camp song!) Jesus Christ is the same yesterday today and forever! His promises are true ... and He is good.




No comments:

Post a Comment